Monday, March 5, 2007

More Bluegrass/Folk Than You Can Throw Rocks At

Well, I've been on a pretty strong bluegrass binge lately, and have uncovered some good bands/songs. Here's a little list for you that will definitely get your hillbilly blood pumping:

Samamidon - They've got a pretty soft sound, and interesting lyrics. Plus they use the banjo well, and everything could use some good banjo playing. "Tribulation" has some pretty amazing piano playing as well.

[mp3] Samamidon - This Chicken Proved Falsehearted
[mp3] Samamidon - Tribulation

Doug Martsch - This song comes from Jack Johnson's surf documentary A Brokedown Melody. About half-way through, the bass kicks in and the song speeds up. The slide guitar on this song will make you want to slap your knee and stomp your foot.

[mp3] Doug Martsch - Heart (Things Never Said)

Pete Droge - This is an amazing song, and you really should give it a listen. I Guess I'm Floating clued me in to this song, and I'm grateful, because it is amazing (I know I'm repeating myself. Give the song a listen and prove me wrong). Pete formed a "super group", The Thorns, along with Matthew Sweet ('90s geek rock hero) and Shawn Mullins (don't worry, I don't know who he is either). The Thorns didn't turn out to be a huge success, but Pete's 2006 album, Under the Waves, which takes its name from this song, is solid. You can hear more from it at his myspace.

[mp3] Pete Droge - Under the Waves

Jayber Crow - Jayber Crow is named after an amazing book by Kentucky's own Wendell Berry (I suggest you read it). They've as of yet only released an EP, The Farmer and the Nomad, but they've managed to pack a few powerful songs on it. They play a mandolin, guitar and tambourine. Their music keeps bringing to mind the farms and country roads of where I grew up. They currently have only toured the Midwest, but I would definitely catch their show if they came around here.

[mp3] Jayber Crow - The Farmer and the Nomad
[mp3] Jayber Crow - The News About Michael

Old Crow Medicine Show - Finally, there is OCMS. This is a true bluegrass band--there is lots of fiddle-playin', foot-stomping music from them. They've also got that classic twang in the vocals that characterizes bluegrass. This song, "Wagon Wheel," takes its chorus from "Rock Me Mama" a bootleg recording by Bob Dylan.

[mp3] Old Crow Medicine Show - Wagon Wheel

No comments: